Monday 13 May 2013

Experiencing text




'So why did you feel the need to walk on the tables in your lesson today Mr Cooley?'

Well that's an interesting question. I know an English teacher, who taught me a fantastic way to get students to interact with text.

His idea is that, yes you can read it; but you can live it too.

So rewind to a training session developed with Dan Lea and Nic Hughes (2 amazing teachers- check out their blogs) for NQTs in Redbridge http://rednqt.blogspot.co.uk/ - 50 delegates packed into the teaching centre. When I say packed- they were. It works like this, but the strategy can be adapted to suit the context and format of any text with a little imagination:-

I asked 50 NQTs to all get under the conference tables and dimmed the lights. When they were good and uncomfortable, played (at high volume) the soundtrack from a Hitler speech/ rant courtesy of Youtube.

Stick with me, I'm going somewhere.

After a short pause I gave an excerpt from Anne Frank's diary to be read in a subdued voice by a 'volunteer', recording a day when she describes with horrifying suspense an occasion where her and her family where nearly discovered by a carpenter whilst hiding behind a false wall. 

Meanwhile I am clomping about on top of the tables, banging and shouting and trying to scare as many people as possible. It's hauntingly effective, a very visceral experience for all and the feedback that follows from students is wonderful.

This is just one idea for one text, but this type of immersive experience forces students to engage with texts in a very different way, in a way they won't forget.  

1 comment:

  1. Mr Cooley,
    this is Rebecca Ball from 10.3
    (obsessed with horses)
    my blog is written by me, but as if it were written by my aunts dog, so i am referred to as her cousin.
    this is the link:
    http://sydney-notquitethebisuit.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete